Monday 23 May 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

   Yes, I know Marie Antoinette never said it, but it is one of the most famous historical non-quotes, and it has "cake" in it. Chloe of the enchanted forest rose cupcakes has a sister, and she is turning 21, and Chloe asked me to make a cake, but who really thinks my imagination is going to let go at just a cake... She seems to be a real girly girl, into pink, big sunnies, friends, and parties. Apparently she really likes Ilana's 13th Birthday I put together, so I started thinking of lots of pink but in a more grown up, less princess, more queen diva--in a good way! Originally thought of doing a whole crowns and gold with a more hot pink pink and black instead of brown, almost royal nightclub. But then I kept finding the most beautiful cake inspiration but couldn't not choose any. So I chose them all, and the "Let Them Eat Cake!" idea was born.


   I love the OTT lux Parisian girly theme of Marie Antoinette parties, but never had a chance to try to put one together. The colour pallet for this party had to be tweaked to suit the pink loving birthday girl, so I dropped the eggshell blue to the background and brought rose pink to the foreground as the main colour with blush pink, hot pink, buff cream, plum and a choice of antique gold or brushed silver as accent metal. Think layers of assorted fabrics in these colours with vases overflowing with feathers and flowers like roses, peonies, and hydrangea; candles in votives and on candelabrum; cakes on stands at different heights in different styles and colours; gold leaf; platters of desserts like assorted parfaits in 2.5 ounce shooters, mini tarts, mini cupcakes, mini brownies, cakepops, macaroons, triple dipped chocolate covered pretzel sticks, extravagantly iced sugar cookies, donuts, and a whopping pile of pink fairy floss; and, of course, pink Chambord spiked champagne.


  I am so excited about this theme idea, I even mocked up an invitation...


   I really hope the birthday girl likes this idea, because I want to put this together like I want to breath. I also hope the guest list will be more than a hand full of people because I think this idea's food lends itself to excess, the more piles of sugary treats the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment